As promised, the incredible breakfast that manfriend put together for us!
- 1 1/3 c flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- Pack of bacon- we used maple flavored
- 1 3/4 c milk
- Chocolate chips- as many as your sweet tooth requires
- Maple syrup- the real stuff please. We’re making waffles from scratch here, not some Bisquick and Aunt Jemima stuff (though I’ll admit to loving both of those).
- Bourbon- your favorite kind. Or the cheapest kind. Or manfriend’s favorite kind because you don’t really like bourbon that much. I dunno.
- Make the bacon, and reserve alllll of the bacon grease. If you don’t have 1/2 cup, go ahead and melt some butter so you have a full half cup of greasy buttery fatty deliciousness. When the bacon is nice and crispy, cut or crumble it into small pieces
- While the bacon is cooking, go ahead and whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then add the egg yolks in.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until moderately stiff.
- Add the milk and bacon grease/melted butter to the dry ingredient mixture and blend.
- Fold the stiff egg whites into mixture, then add in bacon bits and chocolate chips.
- Use your favorite waffle iron to get them to your desired doneness.
- For the syrup: add a generous helping of maple syrup to a pan, then splash in bourbon to your desired booziness. Heat it up and stir it around a bit, but not too much- cooking off that alcohol there would be a downright shame and beat the purpose of putting booze on your breakfast.
We served these suckers up with some sliced avocado sprinkled with coarse salt. I don’t know if the tastes complimented or anything, we just really like avocados. You should follow your heart and serve whatever you want with them.
Caution: your house will smell like bourbon and maple syrup 4 dayz. This is generally awesome, unless you’re hungover and really don’t want to be smelling bourbon. Then it’s a bit of a struggle.