I’m jumping on the resolutions bandwagon. Tomorrow I plan on sharing my real-life resolutions, but today I’m focusing on what I’d like to accomplish in 2015 in my barn life. In no particular order:
- Get comfortable schooling 3′. When I left off riding several years ago I was a huge weenie scaredy cat, and 2’6″ was pretty much my limit. Now that I have the confidence and the horse to go higher, I want to go for it!
- Make it to a horse show. This is a huge one, and hopefully something I can check off the list before warmer weather rolls around. I’ll be happy with a small local show, but I want to show off my new show coat!
- Try a jumper class. I have always been an eq rider, ever since the first time I sat on a horse. My trainer always blamed my classical ballet training for that. With this newfound courage comes a newfound desire to go fast. Fast + careful horse = ready for something new.
- Live through a lesson with no stirrups. Ten years ago my trainer would take away my stirrups every winter, and I wouldn’t get them back til spring. You can bet my legs were more stable than the rock of Gibraltar. I don’t care if I can’t walk afterwards, I want to make it all the way through an hour lesson.
- Keep up my confidence. This may seem kinda vague, but I’ve always been an extremely timid rider. Since returning as an adult I’ve noticed that I’m a lot braver and willing to try new things, and I want to keep that momentum going. I know there will be bad/scary/intense rides in the future, and I want to be able to take those in stride (literally and figuratively).
Care to share your resolutions for the new year? Think there’s anything I should add?